06 August, 2008

NAG PANCHMI ..

Naga Panchami is the festival of snakes celebrated on the fifth day of the fortnight in the month of Shravan.The festival of Naga Panchami is celebrated by Hindus to pay respect to Nagas. The five Nagas worshipped on Nag Panchami are Ananta, Vasuki, Taxak, Karkotaka and PingalaNag .Panchami day the victory of Krishna over the Kaliya snake is commemorated.
There also a legend as follows.. a farmer accidentally killed some young serpents while tilling his land. The mother of these serpents took revenge by biting and killing the farmer and his family, except one daughter, who happened to be praying to the Nagas..Pleased by devotion of daughter , family members were forgiven and got their life back.
This is first nag panchmi I couldn’t celebrate as I had to go to office..Missing some moments in life..Kuch pane ke liye kuch khona padhtha hai..:) Above pic is last year’s snap I took at my granny’s place.

1 comment:

broca's area said...

reminds me of my ajji mane:(